Friday, December 10, 2010

Moving right along!

Well, the radio has been up for a little over 12 hours now, and I'm averaging about 5 listeners with a listen time of around 3 hours! Wicked! Well, it's pretty cool for me, seeing as I have no idea how long the stream was down, and I've gotten it back and got people listening, I'm super proud of myself. But sadly, there is a lot of work to be done. I've decided I need to make some sort of ad for youtube and I need to start working on and recording promos for the radio.

Playing with the radio aside, I've been working out some ideas for what sort of website I want to tie to the station. Obviously I'd like to keep a link on Brando's site, since the fans there are what made this stream what it is. At the same time, I'm thinking about extending the same option to Duane and his bunch if they would like to and could keep things civil. But that's the problem, I'm not sure if both sides can agree to disagree to the point that they can share the same radio stream. The extra people would help my listener count, and with enough people listening I could start running ads for actual companies so I might be able to make the stream self-sustaining. But then again, who knows, the ads might make my listener count drop to the point that companies would scoff at my attempts at trying to break even.

In any case, things are going pretty well considering. I've also been posting the link to practically everywhere I frequent on the internet.  I think that's helping people find the link, and once that happens (hopefully) the link will spread and more people will listen. I'll have to start thinking about how to deal with requests and the like. I've been thinking about taking requests in the chat for a certain time each day, but also taking requests via Skype or my AIM account might not be a bad idea either. I'm going to have to think that one through.

Also, I'm planning on bringing in DJ Mxteve for a spot on the radio. Most likely for friday nights or something like that. I'm thinking giving him a set amount of time each week or every few days might be nice, depending on how he feels about it. I'm not sure yet either, so it's alright, haha. I'm hoping to line Amber up int here somewhere too, but she's got more important things to worry about than a silly internet radio stream. For now at least, I'm planning on just having me run the whole thing 24/7 for a little bit.


I'm also thinking about starting up an IRC channel for the radio as well, since those sorts of chatrooms seem to get more people going in and out and also that way I can write up a bot that can take requests and allow dice rolls and all that sort of thing. Might make the station fun for a while, add something extra. I know that there isn't much that I can do that hasn't been done already. I think I need to spend some time just doing research on how to make this thing successful, but then again I don't want to sell it out.

That's the problem, I would like to see the radio pay for itself with donations and ads and the like, but I don't want to sell out the people who listen. We'll have to wait and see how things work out. I'm just playing things by ear.

Til next time ya'll <3

No comments:

Post a Comment